NRHC Harrisburg and Philadelphia
NRHC Portland and Baltimore
Philly U Honors
Update – December 2016 – The NRHC Student Awards are now open. The nomination form and application form can be found at the bottom of this page. Students must first be nominated by a faculty member before applying. The deadline for both nominations and applications is February 1st.
Update – September 2016 – NRHC Scholarships for Honors Semesters and Winterim Experiences
We are happy to receive applications until the extended deadline of October 15, 2016. You can find the application information here:
Please note that Partners in the Park and Fall (2017) Honors Semesters scholarship applications must submitted by March 15, 2017.
Minority Scholarship Information
NRHC members can submit NRHC Conference Scholarship requests on a first-come-first served basis. Up to fifteen scholarships can be awarded each year to students presenting at the NRHC Conference.
While these are given out on a first-come-first served basis, we also distribute these scholarships equally across institutions. So an institution that submits a large number of applications is not guaranteed to have all their students awarded. The number of scholarships each institution gets is dependent on the number of students from other institutions applying.
The scholarship form will open up on December 18th, 2016. The deadline for the 2017 scholarship application is January 24th, 2017.
Scholarships for: Partners in the Park, Honors Semesters and Winterterm Experiences
Click HERE for Application.
Terms of the Scholarship
1. Eligible Expenses: Scholarships are for registration fees or tuition only.
2. Individual Award Maximum: The maximum scholarship per student per experience is $600.
3. Total Number of Scholarships: NRHC offers up to five scholarships each year for PIP and ten scholarships for Honors Semester/Winterim experiences.
4. Institutional Membership Requirement: Students applying for one of these scholarships must be from an institutional member of the region in the academic year (including the following summer) of the chosen experience.
5. Fair Distribution-To ensure scholarship money is spread broadly across the region:
6. Basis of Award: Scholarships are awarded competitively based on the application.
7. Deadlines: Applications for spring Honors Semesters or Winterim experiences must be submitted by September 15 (prior to the experience). Applications for all Partners in the Parks experiences and fall Honors Semesters must be submitted by March 15 (prior to the experience). If any monies remain after the spring awards, more applications for the previous fall Honors Semester or Winterim experience may be made on a rolling basis until June 15, two weeks before the end of the fiscal year, June 30.
|8. Submission: All application materials should be submitted to the NRHC Executive Secretary/Treasurer. Once institutional membership is verified, the secretary/treasurer will forward applications to the NRHC Executive Committee Scholarship Selection Committee, consisting of the two faculty representatives and one of the two student representatives OR the vice-president.
9. Decisions of awards for the fall deadline will be sent out by October 1. Decisions of awards for the spring deadline will be sent out by April 1. Decisions for applications made for leftover funds will be made by on a rolling basis but no later than the end of the fiscal year, June 30.
10. Reflective Essay Requirement: Within one month of completing any of these experiences, the student must submit a 500-word reflective essay to the secretary/treasurer; this essay will be posted at the NRHC website.Failure to submit a reflection essay within one month of completion of the experience results in forfeiture of the scholarship.
11. Reimbursement: Receiving a timely submission of the reflective essay, the NRHC secretary/treasurer will reimburse the party responsible for paying the registration fee or tuition—either the Honors Program or the student—as noted on the application form.
Application: The application includes identifying information, a 500-word essay detailing expectations and goals, the total amount of the tuition and other financial support, and a 150-200-word statement of support from the Director/Dean.12.
Reflections: Each student is required to submit a reflection essay following his/her experience. These essays will be featured on the NRHC web site.
NRHC Student Awards
The Northeast Regional Honors Council is pleased to announce that it will recognize two students as Student of the Year–one from a two-year institution and one from a four-year institution. The NRHC Student of the Year Awards will be presented to students who have made a significant impact on their honors programs. The award will recognize outstanding leadership skills, socially engaged commitments and innovations that the students have shown at their home institution.
The winners are role models for other students in their honors programs and have demonstrated commitment that is above their peers. The NRHC Student of Year may also work to engage honors ideals outside their home institution through participation in intercollegiate projects, NRHC and/or NCHC conferences, service to their communities, and more.
Nominations and applications are due by midnight on Wednesday, February 1, 2017. All nominations must be submitted by a faculty or director of an honors program that is a member of the NRHC.
Winners will be announced at the NRHC Conference in Pittsburgh, PA at the Awards Ceremony to be held Sunday morning. Students will be recognized with a plaque and their pictures and biographies will be displayed in the Hall of Fame, located on the NRHC website.
A faculty member or director has to nominate a student who they think deserves to be a Student of the Year. The faculty member or director will submit the nomination form along with a letter of recommendation at this link by February 1st.
Student nominees have to submit an application (including short write-ups, a resume and a photograph) when they are nominated by a faculty member or director. Students can complete their application form at this link by February 1st.